Here are 20 easy cucumber salad recipes that will give freshness to your main dishes. Cucumber salads are among the most common and simple salads, but there’s so much you can do with them! You don’t have to settle for an average or boring cucumber salad when it’s so easy to make something new and exciting.
With just a few simple ingredients that are already available in your pantry, you can turn this side dish into something spectacular. Whether you like your cucumbers spicy, sweet, or salty, here are some ideas that will make your taste buds sing. So get inspired and see what you can do with those cucumbers just sitting in the fridge!
What is a Cucumber Salad?
A cucumber salad is a simple salad made with cucumbers and perhaps other vegetables, spices, and dressings. The simplicity of the salad allows the flavor of the vegetables to shine through, making it an excellent choice for accompanying main courses that are rich in flavor.
Cucumber salad recipes are a popular side dish for a variety of dishes, from sandwiches to grilled meats. While you can certainly eat a cucumber salad plain, many people choose to add additional ingredients for an added boost of flavor.
While there are many options for adding flavor to a cucumber salad recipe, some of the most popular ingredients include:
- Salt: Since cucumbers are relatively bland, you can use some salt to give them a bit of a kick. You can either sprinkle some salt on the cucumbers before you serve them or add a bit to the dressing you use.
- Vinegar: Vinegar has a light, refreshing taste that helps balance out the natural sweetness of the cucumbers.
- Herbs: Cucumbers are versatile vegetables that can complement a variety of spices. Some of the most common herbs used in cucumber salads include parsley, dill, and mint.
- Spices: A touch of spice can provide a nice contrast to the otherwise neutral flavor of cucumbers.
- Extenders: Chopped vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, and onions for crunch and flavor. Fruits like avocado, watermelon, tomatoes, and corn.
- Dairy like feta cheese, crumbled goat chees, sour cream, or yogurt!
- Choose firm cucumbers. If they seem too soft, they won’t hold their shape, and they’ll be difficult to chop.
- You can do several different ways to cut cucumbers. You can use a mandoline slicer to slice them paper-thin, or you can slice them with a knife or a vegetable peeler. Slice the cucumbers into thin strips or bite-sized pieces. This will ensure that they absorb the dressing evenly and give you a nice variety of textures in your salad.
- Don’t forget to salt the cucumbers! It makes them taste better, and they’ll last longer if you salt them before serving.
- You can mix your salad in advance, but don’t add the dressing until just before you serve it.
- To add extra texture, roast your vegetables before adding them to the salad.
What to Love About These Salads?
- Simple but full of flavors
- Easy to make, only take 5-10 minutes to prepare
- Light and fresh but satisfying at the same time
- Make use of ingredients readily available in your pantry
- Can be made ahead
20 cucumber salad recipes that are so good, light, fresh, and flavorful
Check out these amazing recipes and get inspired today!
There’s something about cucumber tomato feta salad that just makes everyone happy. It could be the crunch of the cucumbers, the juiciness of the tomatoes, or the creaminess of the feta cheese. Whatever it is, this salad always hits the spot! Get the recipe here.
Simple but packs with big flavor thanks to the combination of ingredients. All you need is some chopped and smashed cucumbers, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and chili flakes – plus whatever else you might like to add (like peanuts). Make this recipe.
To make it, just mix the sliced cucumbers with a dressing made of rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil. Then add in some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. The result is a delicious and refreshing salad that's perfect for summertime picnics or potlucks! Find the recipe here.
Unbelievable tasty cucumber salad recipe with sweet corn and bell peppers. This recipe uses English cucumbers and the dressing is composed of sour cream, mayo, lemon, fresh dill, chives, and your favorite herbs. For a complete recipe go here.
Spicy is the name of the game. A meal in Korea is never boring. Every meal has 3 or more side dishes they call 'banchan'. And this salad is never absent together with kimchi. Go here to find the recipe.
Now add some protein to your salad. Precooked shrimp is one of the convenient choices. This recipe uses Japanese cucumbers that are seedless with skin that is thin. The dressing is appealing and oozing with the tangy goodness of lime and the contrasting aroma of garlic and cilantro. For the recipe, you can find it here.
This is a creamy version with shrimp and mayo. The added avocado makes it filling even though this is a light kind of salad. Recipe here.
To make this, simply cut (julienne style) the cucumbers and apple very thinly! Drizzle with dressing before serving. Get recipe.
These beautifully sliced English cucumbers are done using a mandoline. The best tip is to finely slice them like pictured for the savory and gingery dressing to seep through. Go to recipe.
The herby and citrusy dressing adds brightness to the salad. Plus it's also great for marinating chicken or shrimp. Go to recipe.
The sweet and crunchy cucumber is the perfect vessel for savory peanuts, making it a refreshing salad that will tantalize your taste buds. Go here for the recipe.
Carrots and cucumbers mixed with the cool, gingery dressing are all gathered in this bowl of summery and Asian flavors. To make this recipe, go here.
A dish made of sliced cucumbers and onions, dressed with a creamy vinaigrette and topped with fresh dill. It is popular in Poland, where it is known as "ogórek kiszony". Best served chilled. Go to recipe.
More healthy cucumber salad recipes are coming your way so scroll for more.
Cucumber salads are a great way to use up any cucumbers you may have left over. They’re versatile, easy to make, and can be served as a side or as a light meal. Cucumbers are full of water, so they’re hydrating and great for your skin. They’re also healthy - a good source of B vitamins, potassium, and fiber. Whether you enjoy them plain or with added ingredients, a cucumber salad is a simple way to get your veggies.